du jour, Food, menu, pancake day, recipe L'Ortolan
With Pancake Day over for another year we can all finally start thinking about other gastronomic treats. So to help move our taste-buds on from concoctions of egg, flour and milk L'Ortolan Head Chef Elliott Lidstone explains how to recreate part the L'Ortolan experience in your own home.
Jerusalem Artichoke Salad, Crispy Parmesan Risotto & Pickled Mushrooms
This dish is great for this time of year when Jerusalem artichokes are beautifully in season. We are currently serving this on our Menu Du Jour and it is proving really popular with our guests.
- 40g finely chopped onions
- 25g butter
- 250g rice
- 640g water
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 210g grated parmesan
- Melt the butter and add the chopped onion and rosemary. Cook until the onion becomes soft and loses its colour.
- Add the rice to the onions and cook for a further two minutes always keeping the rice moving to prevent burning.
- Cover the rice and onion mix with the water. Stir the mixture regularly until all the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the cheese and then pour into a lined tray leaving the risotto about ¾ inch thick.
- Once set form into balls or neat squares. Then coat in flour, eggs and Japanese breadcrumbs
- Carefully deep fry the risotto until golden brown.
To finish off the dish serve with:
- Neatly diced Jerusalem artichoke (which has been blanched in salted water), dressed with a simple vinaigrette.
- Seasonal mushrooms, pickled in lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, thyme and bay leaf
- Artichoke puree - cook artichoke trim in 50/50 milk and water, and then blend in a Thermomix
- A few mixed leaves and cresses